Madam S
What are the main differences between depend on and depend upon? I read somewhere: "depend upon- means when an action is dependant upon something else. Which means, in order for something to occur, another thing must happen first. ex."I can go to the movie, but it depends upon whether my parents will let me." Wanted to make sure whether is it right or not and what are the main differences between depend on and depend upon in general? Thank you for your response.
12
1
Frankly, there is no difference. "Depend upon" is outdated and probably best used for essays in school or formal speech. In my opinion, you should choose one phrase that you feel fits your personality and stick to that.
Thank you Owen and Nanren for your response.
Use them interchangeably as you feel.
"up" :)
As the others have noted, the phrases "depend on" and "depend upon" are essentially the same. A good general suggestion in English is to keep things simple; therefore I suggest "depend on" is a better choice if you are unsure.
Madam S
English, German, Persian (Farsi), Spanish
English, German, Spanish