Which of the following words would you used as a BrE speaker? Thank you :) Shopping mall - shopping centre (and would you use "mall" alone?) DIY store- ironmonger drinks cupboard- liquor cabinet cross-ply tyre- bias-ply tyre
Sep 2, 2018 8:22 AM
Answers · 8
1) Shopping centre. In my region people often just say 'centre', I'm not sure if this is UK wide. No, we do not typically use 'mall' or 'shopping mall', they are seen as American words. We do of course understand them though. 2) DIY store. Much more likely to hear DIY shop, 'store' again is a more typically American usage. The American equivalent would be a hardware store. Do ironmongers still exist? They are not very common any more. It's not synonymous with DIY store. 3) Drinks cabinet would be the phrase. 4) I have no idea what either of those things are and I don't think your average person would either. They sound like technical names used when talking about how tyres are constructed.
September 2, 2018
1) I agree with Paul that people near me tend to call our local mall by its name "the xxx Centre" and wouldn't refer to it as a mall. But I think the word mall is commonly understood and wouldn't be wrong, especially if you were talking about one of the really big centres in London. 2) I would disagree with Paul because we do call it the DIY store. To me, a 'shop' implies a smaller establishment, whereas when referring to one of the bigger superstores like B&Q, we would call it the DIY store. Ironmonger is a very old-fashioned word, I think there are only a few small local stores that would describe themselves that way, and they tend to mainly sell metal objects such as fastenings and tools. 3) Agree with Paul that drinks cabinet is most common, but liquor cabinet would not be wrong. Drinks cupboard sounds wrong, no-one would say that. 4) agree with Paul, they sound like very specific technical descriptions of tread patterns for tyres which would not be in common usage. I just looked on a popular British tyre chain (Kwik-fit) and they don't have any description like that on their front pages.
September 2, 2018
I usually say 'shopping centre.' They often have a particular name - here in Cambridge we have a shopping centre called The Grand Arcade, another called The Grafton Centre, and another called The Beehive Centre - which is actually a retail park rather than a mall. When anybody says 'mall' I think of the road to Buckingham Palace! THE Mall! So, no, I don't say 'mall' but it's an English word so I know what it means, of course. I'll stick with 'shopping centre' or even 'shopping arcade' rather than 'mall.' The local ironmonger still exists, but there are also giant DIY stores now. 'store' and 'shop' are both English words - I use either. I know the Americans really like 'store' - they use it a lot. 80% of the time I say 'shop.' I use the word 'ironmonger' for traditional small shops - but there are few of these nowadays. I might say 'hardware shop' but more likely DIY shop/store. A DRINKS cabinet is the only term I use. I reserve the word 'liquor' for talking about hard-drinking American cowboys who like 'cigareets and whisky and wild wild women' - do you know that song? I think I have cross-ply tyres (I've heard the term) but I'm not a tyre expert! Bias-ply makes sense - dresses cut in a certain way are cut 'on the bias' - so bias-ply would mean the same as cross-ply I suppose. They are all English words, but some English-speaking countries have come to favour one rather than the other. In the UK we have 'cross-ply' tyres and dresses cut 'on the bias' - I wonder if in the USA they have 'bias-ply' tyres and dresses cut 'on the cross' ????
September 2, 2018
Don't worry about cross-ply tyres. Nobody uses them any more! ;)
September 2, 2018
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!