Madam S
What is the main difference between "through" and "throughout"? For example through the world vs throughout the world, etc Thanks for your response.
7
1
Hi Madam S; Through the world would be interpreted as meaning... "in many places around the world". Throughout the world would be interpreted as "everywhere in the world". Throughout is more inclusive and final. I hope this helps. Thanks, Stephen
Hi, Madam S! While the two can sometimes both be used, generally "through" is for situations and settings that are more linear (point A to point B) and "throughout" is for those that are more all-encompassing. Here are two examples: "I worked through the night to complete the assignment." "Smiling is a universal sign of happiness throughout the world." In the first sentence, I completed a task by starting it at a certain time and finishing it at a certain time. That's going from one end to the other. In the second sentence, I'm describing a situation that encompasses an entire planet, which is not linear but across an entire area and/or volume. I hope this helps somewhat clarify the differences. Please let me know if my answer is confusing.
I would say their meanings dependent on whether they apply to a place or time. * place - the two are quite different. - through = crossing the place in a straight path. "We made our way through the forest quickly." - throughout = in every part of the place: "Litter was everywhere throughout the field." * time - the difference is small. - through = from beginning to end of the period. " I worked through the night." - throughout = similar, but with greater emphasis:. "They were rowdy in the house throughout the night." For your example, "throughout the world" means everywhere in the world. It is a commonly used phrase. "through the world" is not used as much because, the world being round, we tend to use "around the world" instead.
Madam S
English, German, Persian (Farsi), Spanish
English, German, Spanish