Niwantha
In this context "the" is needed or not? Hi friends, Do I need "the" in the following sentence? "the compliance" or "compliance"?? " It is recommended to review the employee handbook in order to ensure the compliance with local labour laws." Thanks in advance, Niwantha
3 wrz 2018 05:00
8
0
" It is recommended to review the employee handbook in order to ensure the compliance with local labour laws." Hi Niwantha, You do not need a definite article as the phrase "compliance with local labour laws" is already referring to a specific set of laws that the company need to comply with. Just as a side discussion, the phrase "It is recommended to review" sounds off as "It" is used for the reader to anticipate something as he or she reads. For example: "It is a hot day." In this sentence, "It" refers to "the day" or "today". This sentence makes sense because there is a word or phrase in the later part of the sentence to link up with "It". In your sentence, we know that "It" refers to the boss or the company's management; however, it is not mentioned or implied anywhere in the rest of the sentence. Perhaps you can re-write the final sentence as: "It is recommended that the company *review the employee handbook in order to ensure compliance with local labour laws." *"review" is used here instead of "reviews" as the verb is used in the subjunctive mood to describe a hypothetical or imaginary scenario. (Reference URL: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/english-subjunctive-what-is-it/) I hope this helps you.
3 września 2018
Definitely no 'the'; with all due respect to George this is an elementary mistake made by many learners, and he should not encourage you to make it.
3 września 2018
I am pretty sure both are grammatically correct, and to me they both sound equally as natural.
3 września 2018
Niwantha
English, Sinhala