Ppman
make + O + disappointed. My book says it is wrong to say: John made Mary disappointed. Instead I should say: Mary is disappointed in John. My question is : Does the rule apply to all the words like confused, satisfied, excited, astonished, terrified...? Can I say: You made me confued, satisfied excited, astonished, terrified...... Thanks.
What is your book called? And what does it say exactly? That sounds a strange concept to me. 'John made Mary disappointed' and 'Mary is disappointed in John' have different meanings, and both seem normal English to me.
I agree with this concept because it sounds awkward. We say "Don't make me jealous" instead of "Don't jealous me" because the second option is nonsense. We say "She made him happy" instead of "She happied him" for the same reason. But with "disappointed" we usually say that "A disapointed B" or "B was disappointed by A" But "But B was not made disappointed by A! I think that the formula "Make + adjective" can only be used for a minority of adjectives. (Make me happy / Made me scared? ... I can't think of many others)
Thanks
John disappointed Mary. :)