Taras
What is the joke in the name of this video game? I have a question for all the German speakers here about a video game I bought in Germany. Here, in the United States, the game is called "South Park: The Fractured But Whole". This is obviously meant to be a joke with the words "but whole" sounding just like a different word, which I'm sure you can all figure out without me typing it out here. (Hint: it's a part of the body below the waist) However, when I bought the same game in Germany, it was called "South Park: die Rektakuläre Zerreisprobe", which Google translator said means "South Park: The Spectacular Ordeal". Anyone who has ever watched an episode of the show "South Park" knows that it's full of this kind of lowbrow humor, so I'm sure there must be some sort of toilet joke in the German version as well. I feel somewhat silly asking this, but can someone please explain what the joke in the German title is? Does it have something to do with the words "Rekt" and "Probe"?
4
2
"Zerreißprobe" is the German word for a breaking test. Its literal meaning is "test by tearing apart". The adjective preceding it is a pun on "spektakulär" (spectacular). The first syllable is replaced by the medical term "rektal", which refers to the same area below the waist as in the English name. So a better translation might be: "spectacular test by tearing apart 'but whole'".
Think of "rectum", and you'll be on the right path.
Taras
English, German, Russian, Ukrainian
German