Shella
IPA CHARTS AND SYMBOLS WHAT is the best way to learn English Phonetics ? Its really a hard subject, and im Struggling with it I still can't find a way to learn it properly So What do i do ?
5
0
Use "Ship or Sheep" and "Better English Pronunciation" by O'Connor.
if you are interested in IPA then go ahead, but I think that learning IPA for pronouncing English would be a lot of extra work. It exists more for standardization and less for learning languages. in English the consonants/consonant combinations are generally pronounced the same. the only differences that I can think of is that unaspirared and aspirated "t, c, k, and p" are not marked, however, we do not distinguish between words this way, and mixing it up would not hinder communication. vowels are more tricky with irregularities, so you can use dictionary pronunciation and audio to help with that, but I think IPA would be overkill here as well. it may also help to listen to audio recordings. most vowel irregularities happen only in the most common words
Are you studying phonetics in a linguistics class? Curious about the IPA representation of English phonemes? Looking for help with English pronunciation? The answer depends on your question. (I am currently tutoring a student in articulatory phonetics. He wants a personalized, short version of a university phonetics course.)
I feel the same with you~~But I know if we never did anything we can't do , we'd never feel good about doing the things we can do.
Shella
Arabic, English, French, Korean, Spanish
English, Korean, Spanish