Luiz
''Shed'' Is this word considered to be archaic? Can it consist of a main verb (''shed'') and one or more following particles and act as a complete syntactic and semantic unit, I mean, a phrasal verb like ''shed off'' or ''shed away'' and so forth... (Do such phrasal verbs even exist in the English Grammar?) If so, would you mind providing me with a few examples? Thank you in advance.
The verb "to shed" is not archaic. Dog owners say "My dog is shedding all over the house" or "it's the time of year when dogs shed a lot." A well-known folk-pop song of the 1960s by Donovan includes the couplet "Caterpillar sheds its skin To find the butterfly within." Someone might say "This wood treatment sheds rain like water running off a duck's back." "To shed off" is sometimes heard, and as far as I know means exactly the same thing as "to shed." It's possible that "to shed off" is somewhat old-fashioned and has been shortened to "to shed."
Good response from Dan! The only thing I have to add is that phrasal verbs are huge in English. They are really important and I love them. Phrasal verbs are something I most love to teach, especially connected to a particular topic for example, speak up, speak out, speak of, talk around. These bring up another issue - the difference between talk and speak. Well, maybe that's a good topic for a lesson one day soon, if you don't already know :-), As Dan says, there aren't any common use phrasal verbs with the word 'shed'. https://www.italki.com/ana.nz - teaching English & Portuguese