Hazem
scratch...what does it mean here? In that training program there was a trainee named Cecil. <::ecil, who was forty; wanted to shift over to set himself up as a manufacturer's representative, but he thought he was too old. 'l\frer all," he explained, "j'd have to start from" scratch". And I'm too old for that now. I'm forty."
Hey Hazem, how are you, my friend? ''In that training program, there was a trainee named Cecil. Cecil, who was forty, wanted to shift over to set himself up as a manufacturer's representative, but he thought he was too old. ''After all," he explained, "I'd have to start from scratch. And I'm too old for that now. I'm forty''. ''From scratch'' is considered to be an idiom that means ''From the very beginning'', ''from the outset''; ''from/out of nothing''. Please have a look at the examples below: 1) ''I knew we'd have a problem from scratch''. 2) ''That is definitely something he created from scratch'' * Similarly, ''to start from scratch'' means "to start from the very beginning," as in ''After the business failed, they decided to reorganize and start from scratch''. --> This term comes from racing, where a competitor starts from the line scratched in the ground (whereas others may start ahead with a handicap). ** So, If you do something or start something from scratch, you create something completely new, rather than adding to something that already exists: E.g.: ''She set up the whole project from scratch''. E.g.: ''I would rather start again from scratch with new rules than continue with this software and fail afterwards''. E.g.: ''He decided to write poetry from the scratch instead of rewriting those of renowned poets''. Hope that helps!!! :)
From the beginning.