Lawrence
Community Tutor
Revise or Review? Would you like to help me with the following question? If we use revise or review as verbs to describe to check something carefully and try to improve it, what is the difference between those both words?
3
0
In North American English, - revise (= to modify or to update) "The revised edition of the textbook came out in 2015." - review (= to study something that has been learned) "The student reviewed chapter 7 in preparation for the exam." - review (= to examine and possibily to suggest or to require revisions) "The manager reviewed the contract and suggested some changes."
Revise ( Cambridge Online Dictionary.)verb UK ​ /rɪˈvaɪz/ US ​ /rɪˈvaɪz/ 1.​ To look at or consider again an idea, piece of writing, etc. in order to correct or improve it: His helpfulness today has made me revise my original opinion/impression of him. His publishers made him revise his manuscript three times. 2. Review to study again something you have already learned, in preparation for an exam: We're revising (algebra) for the test tomorrow. Review verb (THINK AGAIN) verb UK ​ /rɪˈvjuː/ US ​ /rɪˈvjuː/ 1.​ To think or talk about something again, in order to make changes to it or to make a decision about it: The committee is reviewing the current arrangement/situation. Let's review what has happened so far. He reviewed his options before making a final decision. 2 [ T ] If critics review a book, play, film, etc. they write their opinion of it: I only go to see films that are reviewed favourably. 3.[ T ] When an important person reviews military forces, they formally visit and look at them: The Queen reviewed the troops on her recent visit. Personal view: On may learn those differences by using them in writings or come across by reading.
Lawrence