Does 机密 only refers to governmental "top secrets" or any confidential information? Hi, I recently received some things in the mail from my medical insurance company, and it said "confidential" in many languages, including Chinese. The Chinese translation they used was "機密 (sorry, it was written in traditional characters)" or 机密 but when I looked it up in my dictionary, the English translation was more along the lines of "top secret" of a government of something. Would you say that the the Chinese translation they used was appropriate in the context? Just curious. Thanks.
保险,档案之类的机密可以有,不过你只是大概说了一下医保方面的,不知道你信件的具体内容,所以不好回答你的问题
“机密” means important and secret thing. It can be used to mark on the documents that need to be kept secret.
Hi, Justin. 机密 is a formal word to discribe information that is confidential and classified, it's usually used in the context related to government or business, such as 国家机密 and 商业机密,while 秘密 is a normal word which is used more often, like secrets between friends, etc.