Kimon
A question about two English sentences 1)Writers should welcome a future where readers remix our books 2)I'll never forget the day when I met u So why「where」can be used in the first sentence??Can 「when」also be used in it???What about the second sentence?Can 「where」also be used in it? Could u tell me the reason? TKX
2
0
1. This way of using 'where' is not literal. When people begin a sentence with something like 'I've reached the point where...', they are basically referring to the 'location' of a point in time.
Where and When can be used interchangeably when the noun they are replacing could be a place or a time. It the first sentence, "a future" could be interpreted as a time or place. However, in the second sentence "the day" is definitely a specific time. Using the word "where" would be inappropriate here.
Kimon
Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Taiwanese), English, Esperanto, Portuguese
Chinese (Taiwanese), English, Esperanto, Portuguese