zuotengdazuo
Could you please explain what “as rich an utterance as any“ mean here? The dialect was on her tongue to some extent, despite the village school: the characteristic intonation of that dialect for this district being the voicing approximately rendered by the syllable UR, probably as rich an utterance as any to be found in human speech. Hi. Could you please explain what “as rich an utterance as any“ mean here? Thank you.Thank you. But I really want to ask if “as rich an utterance as any” mean “the accent was on a par with the richest utterance to be found in human speech”?
What I understand is that by rich the author meant strong or varied, meaning the accent when the syllable UR is pronounced is noticed and stands out. Utterance is the spoken word. "As rich an utterance" could be written in a simplified way as "a rich utterance" or even "a rich spoken word", like every spoken word is, the author continues. This kind of construction is very observed in the 18th century novels, like Jane Austen's.
From a web search, I learn that this is from Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the D'Urbervilles." Notice that the next sentence is: "The pouted-up deep red mouth to which this syllable was native had hardly as yet settled into its definite shape, and her lower lip had a way of thrusting the middle of her top one upward, when they closed together after a word." From this, I gather that "ur" was a characteristic filler noise or filler word. By calling it a very "rich utterance," he means two things. First, he means that it can be spoken many different ways, with different tones of voice, to express different feelings. It is always "ur" but it does not always convey the same idea or feeling. Second, he means that he likes it, he appreciates it. This is an example of a condescending attitude. He is a highly educated man, writing for highly educated people, about people with only primary education in a village school. He is saying "some might think it is just an uneducated grunt, but I think it is rich and wonderful." An Allan Sherman comedy song gives a great example of how a simple phrase can be a "rich utterance." This is obviously a _completely_ different time, place, and subculture (New York Jewish speakers in the 1950s). It's wildly exaggerated. And it's a joke. My point is: notice how he says the same words, "Oh boy," in a dozen different ways to convey a dozen different shades of meaning. A phrase "characteristic of this district" is shown to be "a rich utterance." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeqJWZgZ428
"Rendered" could be substituted by "transmitted". Her accent was heard, or rendered, in that way.