Nanako
"be satisfied" vs "be fulfilled" Hi everyone, Could someone please tell me if the following words are interchangeable in this sentence? Words; 1 : be satisfied 2 : be fulfilled Sentence: I'm not completely "satisfied" (fulfilled) with his response. Context: Say, I have a friend of mine, who has kept procrastinating to pay me back. I reminded him over and over, but all he said was "I was forgetting about it". One day, I asked him to pay me back right away. Then he finally did but without apology. -> I wasn't good with his attitude. -> I'm not completely "satisfied" (fulfilled) with his response. I'm sorry if my bad English confuses you to understand my question. But any help would be really appreciated. Thanks, Nanako
10
0
The word "satisfied" means to be given "what is needed" making you feel content. The word "fulfilled" means to do what was promised or requested. You were "satisfied" that you had been repaid. Your friend "fulfilled" his obligation to repay. Hope this helps
Not really interchangeable. As Peachey said, 'fulfilled' can have a different meaning, depending on context. You can use satisfied and fulfilled to mean the same thing when talking about a fully completed action or desire, something met fully and without reservation, but it sounds a bit pompous and forced, e.g: 'Has your order been fulfilled?' 'Yes, my order has been fully satisfied' I'd avoid that kind of usage. In your example, satisfied is the only fitting word of the two. Here, fulfilled would have the sense that his paying you back 'fulfilled' you in some complete fashion, met a lifelong goal that had real significance to you in some profound way.
"Fulfilled" would mean "completed" in this context. You can only use "satisfied" in your sentence.
In your sentence, only "satisfied" is possible. Here is an example where they are interchangeable: a) "She satisfied all of the requirements for graduation." b) "She fulfilled all the requirements for graduation." I am having trouble finding any clear explanation of the difference. "Satisfied" is the more common, everyday word, and is probably the "safe choice." "Satisfied" sometimes carries the idea of "just barely." "Your grades are satisfactory" is _not_ a high compliment. You can't say "Your grades are fulfilling." I can't explain why not. "Fulfilling" sometimes carries the idea of something rich and complete. It suggests high goals and aspirations. "This career pays well, but I just don't find the work fulfilling."
Nanako
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Korean