Words order Hello, dear native English speakers. Which one is correct: 1.How is new year celebrated in your country? 2. How new year is celebrated in your country? Thank you very much!
Hi Бармалей, When we start an interrogative sentence with question words such as "How", "What", "Who" and so on, the auxiliary verb (e.g. is, has) comes before the subject. Therefore, the correct order is: "How (question word) is (aux verb) new year (subject) celebrated in your country?" This inversion of the positions of auxiliary verb and subject is known as grammar inversion. As Bruce correctly pointed out, a definite article (i.e. the) is required as you are referring to a specific year. Just as a side discussion: If your question were an embedded question (meaning that your question is found within a main clause), then inversion is not necessary. Example: I wonder how "[the] new year (subject) is (aux verb) celebrated in your country. *The question is embedded within the "I wonder...." main clause. I hope this helps.
How is [the] new year celebrated in your country?