Seven
What is 'there’s a brain to be carved up'? I’m not a gutsy guy. Never have been. Giving – or even getting –a bloody nose has no place in my repertoire. The only time I ever use a knife is when there’s a brain to be carved up. The same goes for killing people. Which, for us doctors, is a big no-no.
Short answer: it is a line supposed to interest you in reading the rest of the piece of writing. . When he has a brain, probably form a dead person and he is intersted to disect to see if there was an abnormality that might suggest why they died, or killed themselves. . This is from context, not from understanding the sentence. . Further down in the text it says that he started watching autopsies. It also pspeaks of doing MRIs of brains. It appears he has an interest in suicides and looking for brain disorders that connect to suicide. So, rather than brain surgeon it seems he might only do analysis, perhaps after death. I have not read the whole things, sorry. .
Since the person speaking/writing is a doctor ("for us doctors"), I assume he is referring to brain surgery (脑部手术?). "to carve something up" roughly means "to cut something into parts/pieces." For example: "I will carve up the cake." --> I will cut the cake into pieces/slices
看上下文,感觉他是说他胆子小到也只能用刀子雕刻大脑而已,应该指的是像halloween时候用南瓜等东西雕刻的那种骷髅头和大脑之类的