Jang Joonggun
is how to facilitate ... TEXT: Any changes that occur in a country's economy will lead to "adjustments" that lead some sectors of the economy to decline and others to expand. And that's what we have to figure out, and that's a hard problem to deal with in detail, is how to facilitate people adjusting from sectors where their job prospects are not so good. -from TOEFL listening part QUESTION: 'is how to facilitate ...' What is the subject of this sentence? 'that'? 1. that's we have to figure out (I understood) 2. that's a hard problem ... (I understood) 3. that is how to facilitate people adjusting ...(?) It's very odd sentence to me. I think 'that' doesn't line up with the context.
3
0
It is spoken English. It is not correct grammar. I suspect it would be corrected to something like And that's what we have to figure out, and that's a hard problem to deal with in detail. The problem is how to facilitate people adjusting from sectors where their job prospects are not so good. . or And the hard problem that we have to figure out, and it's a hard problem to deal with in detail, is how to facilitate people adjusting from sectors where their job prospects are not so good. . "how to facilitate people adjusting from sectors where their job prospects are not so good." This means how to help people change jobs and careers, out of the declining sectors into other sectors. Eg Out of jobs replaced by technology and into jobs that are growing in popularity/demand.
...And that's what we have to figure out, and that's a hard problem to deal with in detail, is how to facilitate people Something wrong with the grammar here. At " is ..." Spoken language rarely follows the rules.
Jang Joonggun