Alena
What is the difference between sent, smell, odor, flavour? They all mean smel of something, right? I comprehend that each of them has its own nuance. And when i can use one, i can't use another. So when are they used?
6
0
Scent is both a noun and a verb. American English uses it to refer to perfume. Hunting animals follow the scent (smell) of their prey. It can also be used metaphorically - he scented a victory. Smell is the more common everyday word to describe detecting odours or the odours themselves. He smelt smoke. The room smelled of cigarettes (note: both smelt and smelled are used as the past tense). The smell of bacon frying made him feel hungry. Odour also means smell. Of the three words, smell is the most commonly used.
"smell" is the verb, which is using your nose to detect the "scent" (sent is the past tense of send) or odour.
If something smells in a particular way, it has a quality which you become aware of through your nose.
I meant scent- not sent, sorry, don't know how to correct the header of my question)
scent?
Alena