IRENE
"Please, let me know where you and Bubba register for your china." I am watching a old sitcom called The Golden Girls, and there is a line which I'm not sure about. Dorothy's ex-husband Stan tells her that they may wind up in jail beacause of tax evasion. Dorothy says:"Good, good. I want you to go to jail. And I want a big bald convict named Bubba to pick you for his girlfriend." After meeting with the auditor, they know that they have to cough up $2500 in 30 days, otherwise they will get incarcerated. Stan says:"Oh, my God. We're going to jail." Dorothy says:"That's right, Stanley. Please, let me know where you and Bubba register for your china." What does the "register for your china" mean?
Hi Irene; The Golden Girls!! Brilliant. When people are getting married, they often "register" at a store for people to select gifts. A gift giver can then see what the new couple wishes for. She is inferring that Stan will go to jail and become the "wife" of Bubba. I hope this helps! And a great way to learn and practice your English! My best, Stephen