Magdalena
Hello, can somebody help me with Arabic sentence? Hello. 1.Could somebody explain to me the meaning of the second part of a sentence? I would make it like this: He doesn't do anything for him.(he stayed in silence) و لكنه ظل صبرا و لا يحرك في شأنه ساك 2.But this silence feels kinda weird here? Maybe somebody would translate it better? 3. Also, what I would like to ask about is why the first part of a sentence is in past, whereas the second one is in present?
6 سبتمبر 2018 11:51
7
2
My translation attempt (based on helpful information supplied by Mohamed): "...but he waited, not moving a muscle." A literal translation of ظل صبراً might be: "he remained patient', but when one "remains patient", one generally "waits". As for your third question, this style (a past tense verb paired with و plus a present tense verb) is fairly common in Arabic; in your example, I think the second clause with the present tense verb is modifying the first clause -- telling us HOW he waited. It was an interesting question, and the responses were instructive. Thanks for posting.
7 سبتمبر 2018
Hello Magdalena, thanks for posting here again. 1. the sentence is not full, that may be you do not understand it لم يحرك ساكنا . which means, he did nothing. A literal translation would be, he move no constant. Which an Famous Arabic idiom, and I think it is origin that he did not move any muscle, when his all muscles were fixed and not moving or may be it means that he change nothing, so every thing is constant on the position before they involvement ( to be fair, you can ask more than one person, and get different explanation from each on the origin of this idiom) Example, رئيس البلدية لم يحرك ساكنا في موضوع النفايات الملقاة على الأرض 2. I AM NOT SURE WHAT DOES YOU MEAN! 3.I am not sure how to answer this question, لم which is a أداة جزم which used with the present form of the present to denote it never happen in the past. لم أقرأ هذا لالكتاب من قبل لم أسمع هذه الأغنية لم أرى مثل هذا العقد الجميل لم يأتي إلى الدرس اليوم and so on. I hope that you are familiar with الجزم other wise it could be hard to get what I mean, and I am really sorry that I can not explain it in a better way. you can give this video a look, it may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epz_vKGfegQ Keep learning and have a nice day.
6 سبتمبر 2018
He doesn't do anything to him. He stayed in silence. لقد إلتزم الصمت ولم يفعل اي شئ له.
6 سبتمبر 2018
it should be (ولكنه ظل صابراً ولم يحرك ساكناً) this is a common phrase in Arabic which means *** but he remained patient and didn't ( move / do anything ) **** فى شأنه is related to the topic the you have taken the phrase from 1 didn't move / do anything . 2 (ساكناً) with (n) sound = stayed still but (ساكتاً) with (t) sound = stayed silence 3 the whole sentence is in the past. but, the second clause is an emphasize of the first clause by describing the way .
7 سبتمبر 2018
Magdalena
Arabic, English, German, Polish
Arabic, English, German