Ali
Foods or Food? A native speaker from the U.S. said "On my vacation to Paris, I ate a lot of delicious food." Is it correct if I say food without an S at the end?
Hi Ali, If we are referring to food as a whole substance that provides nutrition, then it is an uncountable mass noun. The tourist ate a lot of "food". Mass nouns are referred to as a whole and cannot be pluralised. However, if you are referring to different types of food (e.g. pasta, seafood, bread), then we have to pluralise it (foods). This is very common when referring to beverages or materials as well. Examples: Coffee (mass noun) contains caffeine. Waiter, three coffees (count noun), please. Glass (mass noun) is transparent. Three glasses (count noun) of water, please. I hope this helps.
Both are correct, food can be countable and uncountable. We usually use it as uncountable.
thanks
yes, I think because "food" is plural ... it's not need (s)