Tako
"Stumbled over myself" ? "I stumbled over myself trying to get to the trapdoor, but it slammed shut." What does "stumbled over myself" here mean? Does it mean that the person tripped, or was just trying his best to leave the place? Thank you
It’s a idiom to describe the kind of clumsiness a person can feel when trying suddenly to do something quickly. The example that comes to mind is being woken up in a tent by a swarm of wasps, you’d be in such a rush to get out that you’d ‘stumble over yourself’, i.e you go from sleep to sudden action and it feels like you can’t coordinate properly, so it feels like you are ‘stumbling over yourself’. In the example you gave you could say that the feeling is caused by panic, trying to rush to do something in a panic but made clumsy by the feeling of fear/panic.
it mean that the person tripped over himself while he was trying to get to the trapdoor, unfortunately the trapdoor slammed shut.