Oversight: How did it turn out it has the opposite meanings? 1. watchful care 2. ommision, error after failure to notice something
1. ‘Watchful care’ is easier to explain, having over-sight of something means of course being able to see the whole operation as if from above, not missing anything. 2. Is more difficult - the obvious assumption is that it means to overlook something when sorting through details, to literally ‘see over’ something without noticing the thing itself. That might not be the right answer though - there’s an interesting article here from the BBC on possible origins of the second meaning: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36160772
if a house, room etc overlooks something, it has a view of it, so you can see everything from above, figuratively you're on top of a job or activity and making sure it is being done correctly; however if you look over your shoulder, your attention is on something else rather than your shoulder, in this sense, you miss the thing (your shoulder) that you're looking over. that's why it has another meaning "miss or ommision" not sure if i've expressed myself clearly, I'm just trying to give you another perspective to see it.
Nanren, I can't recall a similar example in Russian right now, if I do, I'll write!
How did it turn out this way? English evolves and is generally nuts. . Everything else is just excuses. . I'd guess every language has these.