Ng
DO you use "many" or "much" there were 20 % of males in other type of sports, twice as (much/many) as the percentage for female players in Cricket and soccer, The percentage of males were 4 times (higher/larger/bigger) then that of female players ,at 10% and 24% respectively. Basketball had the percentage of males and females nearly the same,at around 7 % (of / for) both sexes
much, higher, of
Hilary and I wrote our answers at the same time, my answer didn't add much that hers didn't, so I deleted my answer and am now just nitpicking. Hilary made me think about the statistics in Q1, and I think her reasoning would apply for the wording "20% of males were in other sports". As it stands the sentence can only be saying that of other sports 20% of players were male, so 10% must have been female and (by subtraction) 70% were neither. I think more work is needed here. Re. larger/bigger/higher these are no worse than greater. 24% is four times larger/higher/bigger/greater than 6%, not 10%. For readers unable to see the difference unaided, the best way to describe it is as "14 percentage points" with the comparative of your choice. Other than that I would use 'football' rather than 'soccer' unless you are writing for a US audience.
The first one is twice as MUCH. On first reading it is tempting to say MANY as we are talking about males, which is a countable noun. However, the sentence isn't saying that twice as many males play that sport as females. What it is saying is that 20% of males play that sport, and that is twice as much as the % of women who play it - so, 10% of females play it. So 20% is twice as MUCH as 10%. We could only say that twice as many men play the sport as women if we knew that the total number of men and women in the sample was the same, and we don't know that. The second sentence is wrong - both grammatically and statistically. in Cricket and soccer, The percentage of males were 4 times (higher/larger/bigger) then that of female players ,at 10% and 24% respectively. The percentage of males WAS 4 times (not WERE). 4 times GREATER is better than any of the options you have listed. 24% is not 4 times 10%. And the 'respectively' at the end of the sentence assigns the 10% to males and the 24% to females, which is contrary to the assertion that more males than females play. The final sentence is clumsy, but regardless, you could probably use either FOR or OF here. Another way to say it is, 'For basketball, the percentage of males and females was equal, at 7%.'
Many, percentage of males was 4 times higher, for. . Many countable. Much uncountable. . So, I consider percentage of males suggests countable. A pecentage is singular, hence was rather than were Percentages are higher, or lower, though the others would be commonly used . The number is 7% for each of the categories, hence "for". 7% is the fugure for males and 7% is the figure for females. 7% for both sexes.
Much, higher and Of