Tâm
When I can say ...? Once we know what thing is being discussed, we use pronouns. Ex: 1 We don't say: A: I was in a festival last night. B: Was that festival fun? A: Yes, that festival was fun. B: What festival was that? A: That festival was Holi. We say: A: I was in a festival last night. B: Was it fun? A: Yes, it was fun. B: What festival was that? A: It was Holi. 2 We don't say: A: I have a friend who can sing very well! B: Is that person a singer? A: Yes, that person is a singer. We say: A: I have a friend who can sing very well! B: Is he or she a singer? (can I say "are they singer"?) A: Yes, she is a singer. So what case I can use "This + noun, that + noun, these + noun, those + noun" to refer to person, thing, idea etc that was already mentioned in the same conversation? Ex: Have you ever wanted to seek revenge or get back at someone for something that person did to you? Three years ago, he dozed off at the while, he bumped the guard line. That accident changed his lives.
If your subject is clearly identified in the sentence or paragraph, you can use a pronoun. Here are your example - Has MARY ever wanted to seek revenge or get back at HIM for something that HE did to HER? (You can use pronouns if there is no confusion about which person is being spoken about. If only MARY and one other person (HIM) are spoken about in the rest of the paragraph, the reader or listener will not be confused. However, the HER could be someone else like MARY's mother or sister if they are mentioned in the next sentence.) Three years ago, JOHN dozed off at the wheel. HE bumped the guard line. That accident changed HIS life. (It is obvious that JOHN is represented by the pronouns HE and HIM) If you said, "Three years ago, JOHN dozed off at the wheel. HE bumped the guard line. That accident changed THEIR lives", you would leave the listener wondering who is being spoken about. If you said, "Three years ago, JOHN dozed off at the wheel when he was driving his wife, MARY home from work. HE bumped the guard line. That accident changed THEIR lives, it is obvious that both MARY and JOHN had a change in their lives.) Hope this is helpful.
You cannot say "are they singer". If you talk about more people it is plural, "are they singers". If you talk about one person it was correctly as you wrote "is he or she a singer". Don't forget the indefinite article "a" in singular. :) You can use this/that/these/those + noun when you want to stress who or what you are talking about. For example when you are talking about more festivals or more friends, you may have to specify which one are you talking about: that festival, that friend. A: I go to festivals regularly. In fact, I was on a festival last night. B: Was that festival fun? (However, you can use "was it fun" just as correctly.) And a little note, it should be "on a festival" not "in a festival". At first I coppied it myself :)
This book - a book which is closer to you. That book - a book which is further from you. These books - books which are closer to you. Those books - books which are further from you.
I mean I want to know when to use "This + noun, that + noun, these + noun, those + noun" to refer to person, thing, idea etc that was already mentioned in the same conversation as the follow examples: -Have you ever wanted to seek revenge or get back at someone for something that person did to you? - Three years ago, he dozed off at the while, he bumped the guard line. That accident changed his lives.