saeiiiid
Not only....but also case Hi Dear native speakers I'm always confused about the way the structure "not only....but also" is used. I know it is sometimes "inverted". Would you kindly illustrate the point for me with some examples. I also have a question in this regard. Is the structure used appropriately in the following example : - I have always looked forward to experiencing a cooperative situation in which not only do I feel free to share my ideas but I also learn much. Thanks in advance
Your example is good. Compare: a) I like not only football but also cricket b) Not only do I like football, but I also like cricket. Inversion happens when a negative adverbial begins a clause i.e. there is a verb after the negative adverbial. See b) In a), there is no inversion because the structure is "not only + noun + but also + noun" a) is better here because the verb "like" applies to both nouns. b) is repetitious. Inversion is more appropriate when the verbs in each clause are different. e.g. Not only do I watch football and cricket on TV, I sometimes go to live matches.
..but I also learn a lot (not 'much')
Non modo ... sed etiam (It's actually Latin :) )