Chino Alpha
Hi. I wonder if both sentences can be interpreted in the same way? 1. His eyelashes were as long as any woman’s. 2. She steers a ship as well as any man and has a pretty face. Excerpt From A Dance with Dragons George R.R. Martin Hi. I wonder if both sentences can be interpreted in the same way? Namely, for the first sentence, his eyelashes were on a par with the longest woman’s eyelashes. Or no woman’s eyelashes were longer than his. For the second, no man steers a ship better than her, though there maybe men steer a ship equally well as her. Thank you.
Yes you are correct. 1) his eyelashes are equal in length to a women's, implying they looked famine. 2) she is as capable as a man and also has a pretty face.
Not exactly. For the second, it means that the speaker thinks that men (on average) steer ships better than women (on average). The speaker is saying that her skill at steering ships fits in more with the way that the speaker believes men to steer. Some men are better than she is, but she's got skills around the average to above average man.
yes. YOu are correct. BTW I wonder whether both sentences can be interpreted in the same way. <-- not a question. A statement. "if" --> "whether". Enjoy.