Joey Black
The meaning of 'no way from here/there' Sometimes I feel that this phrase doesn't always have a direct meaning, i.e. "no path/road from here or there", but "no way of the situation" or just "no method". Am I correct? Example 1. [...] and there may just be no way from here to what you want with that unit. -- Seems more like "no method" Example 2. I was hoping to see the locked check box here (as it is now in control of the client) - but I poked around and found no way from here to do it. I suppose if I manually changed the registry it would work -- Seems more like "no method" Example 3. Since there's no way from here over the mountains to Nant Gefalion we have to go up the track from Derwen. -- Seems more like "no road from here"
8 de sep de 2018 18:49
16
0
Example 1. [...] and there may just be no way from here to what you want with that unit. -- Seems more like "no method" I would not use the expression from here to what. It's more common to use from here to there to describe a physical location. If you want to use something like a unit, a better expression would be: There may not be a way to get what you want with that unit. Example 2. I was hoping to see the locked check box here (as it is now in control of the client) - but I poked around and found no way from here to do it. I suppose if I manually changed the registry it would work -- Seems more like "no method" I don't know what a "locked check box" is but it's not necessary to use the words "from here" in your sentence. Simply say, I poked around and found no way to do it. Example 3. Since there's no way from here over the mountains to Nant Gefalion we have to go up the track from Derwen. This sentence is correct because "from here" is describing an origination point from one physical location to another. "No way" could be a road, a path, or a means of transportation -- like an airplane.
8 de Septiembre de 2018
Example 1. [...] and there may just be no way from here to what you want with that unit. -- Seems more like "no method" There's no way from here - here meaning 'the present situation' - to what the person wants the outcome, or new, changed, situation to be. To my mind this means that, having thought through possible steps to move from one state to another, the speaker has concluded that there are no workable options. So, 'no viable series of steps from a to b exists' is the meaning, I think. Example 2. I was hoping to see the locked check box here (as it is now in control of the client) - but I poked around and found no way from here to do it. I suppose if I manually changed the registry it would work -- Seems more like "no method" Yes, no method I think, there isn't a remote way for the speaker to unlock the check box, as the client has control. So 'from here' is the speaker's PC, he can't unlock the box from his PC because there is no available method for him to do so. Example 3. Since there's no way from here over the mountains to Nant Gefalion we have to go up the track from Derwen. -- Seems more like "no road from here" Yes, more straightforward, no road (or path/route) from where they are at the moment. Reminds me of a related anecdote I've heard a few times - 'you can't get there from here' - it goes like this: A stranger is trying to get to a particular place. Lost, he asks a local 'how do I get to X?'. The local replies, well, you can't get there from here' - meaning that in order to reach X, the stranger would need to go right back to another point in his journey and take an entirely different route.
9 de Septiembre de 2018
Sorry, not sure what you want. Yes, it is used widely, meaning that form here to there is not possible. a way can be a path, a method, any anything. "No way!" = means not possible. Difficult to believe. . Use it freely. No way can I explain the fiull variety of its use here.
8 de Septiembre de 2018
No way we can help you. No way will we agree to you leaving early. Under no circumstances ; not at all. Source: https://www.google.com/search?ei=vqGUW9Axi9HAAsOfteAM&q=definition+of+no+way
9 de Septiembre de 2018
The word way used here means a course of action or a series of steps that take you from A to G. it's a general word that you can use without having to explain all the steps or reasons for why not. No method is one way of saying you can't get to G from A
9 de Septiembre de 2018
Joey Black