Sharon
Reflected off “ the afternoon sun reflected off her black hair so that it sparkles with thousand points of light.” Can I use “reflected on her hair” instead? When do I use on? When do I use off? Can you give some examples? Are they interchangeable sometimes? Thank you!
First of all, keep both your verbs in the past and add an article. “ The afternoon sun reflected off her black hair so that it sparkled with a thousand points of light.” Using "off" is a more correct description of a reflection. You can say something like: “ The afternoon sun danced on her black hair so that it sparkled with a thousand points of light.” That keeps the sunlight on her hair instead of reflecting off of it.
Hey Sharon, how are you? I hope you are doing just fine! I should advise you to use ''reflected off'' (instead of ''reflected on'') in the context above as the phrasal verb ''reflect off'' conveys a more specific idea of a reflection. So, it might be rewritten as: ''The afternoon sun reflected off her black hair so that it sparkled with a thousand points of light''. Moreover, I shall provide you with an explanation about the difference between these phrasal verbs, as follows: 1) ''To reflect on (something)'': it means ''to think carefully about something''. E.g.: ''He sat in the garden and reflected on what he had just read'' * It can also be used literally to mean ''to be displayed as a duplicate light or image on something'' / ''to appear as a reflected image on some surface''. E.g.: ''Technically, moonlight is just sunlight that bounces off the moon and is reflected on the Earth'' E.g.: ''Though his back was to me, I could see his worried face reflected on the small pool of water. E.g.: ''The trees are reflecting on the water''. 2) ''To reflect off'': it might have two meanings: --> To reject or change direction light, heat, sound or other radiation by opposing a smooth surface. E.g.: "The water of the river reflects off the rays of the sun". --> To return [a smooth and shiny surface] the image of an object. E.g.: "The placid waters of the lake reflected off a completely clear sky". Here are some other examples that may help you understand it clearly: ''The diamond was so shiny, all the lights in the room reflected off its surfaces''. ''By drawing near the water, you may see your image being reflected off its surface''. ''Echos are the sound reflecting off the surrounding hills and features''. ''She let out a shout so loud that (it) reflected off the cave walls''. Hope that helps!!! :) Should you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact me. I shall be pleased to help.
The sunlight reflected off her hair, means the sunlight bounced off her hair it was leaving her hair. It shone on her hair and then bounced off meaning after the sunlight struck her hair it then bounced off into my eyes. The difference between bounced on her hair and off her hair is the light arrives on her hair then continues off her hair into the atmosphere where one can see the reflected light. On and off in this context means coming and going She put her hat on her head then the wind blew it off her head. You can use reflected onto her hair. If you want to use the phrase Reflected on her hair it is with the understanding the sunlight reflected everywhere even on her hair. You can say the sunlight shone on her hair, when you use the verb reflected it carries the meaning of bouncing off of something so just change to a different verb that stays with the idea of something being on something.
That's a different use and meaning than what is meant by "reflected on" here.
I reflected on the question a little and thought this use might be one you have seen. To reflect on = to think about . a thousand points or thousands of points