If a poor student only eats instant noodles to survive, should I say "lives off" or "lives off of"? Hey there, everyone! I guess this may be a follow-up question on where I recently asked if "made of ___" or "made out of ____" was correct, when explaining what material was used to make something. (Here is the question, if you would like to see it again: https://www.italki.com/question/445685) Today, I'd like to know which is correct -- "lives off" or "lives off of". ---> "The poor college student lives off (or lives off of?) instant noodles because that's all he could afford." Thank you.
Lives off; means lives from a source. Lives off his parents. Lives off his allowance. Lives on: means lives on a substance. Lives on instant noodles. I guess he is not living off his parents in this situation. :)
Hi, you can use either, the second is more colloquial. You can also say ‘lives on’, in UK English anyway, ‘he lives on noodles because he’s skint’ would be a colloquial UK phrase. Skint = has no money.