What does "year group" generally mean? Is it used outside the context of education? I believe it's used in the UK to refer to the age group of students in a certain year (I could be wrong though). Is it used in other contexts as well? And is it used in AmE ?
Sep 9, 2018 7:26 AM
Answers · 5
Yes, it is used here in the UK in the context of school but it is a more recent introduction. It wasn't in common use in the 70s when my husband went to school. It refers to the students in a specific year of school, as in the UK it is common to refer to the level of education as a 'year' rather than the American expression 'grade'.
September 9, 2018
As far as I know the only institutions who group people by year are educational.
September 9, 2018
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!