My character During the US Open 2018 final some unexpected incidents took place. Serena Williams lost the game thanks to her coach. She accused an umpire of being a liar and a thief. Williams said: "For you to attack my character is something that is wrong", and "You are attacking my character". What exactly did she mean by my character? Why not to say just me?
Her character stands for who she is, its her reputation, her moral qualities. Me is too general character is more specific to what she feels is being maligned.
Hello Vera, Great question! "You are attacking my character" is much stronger than "You are attacking me". If you are attacking my character you are attacking my good qualities. You are attacking what makes me a good person. If you are attacking me you are just attacking me in general. Hope that helps! Best Regards Edwina
Hi vera, To attack ones character is to defame, to scandalise, to insult etc. It implies libel or slander. The central difference in attacking "me" or "attacking my character" almost suggests the former would be more physical in nature, the latter relates to an attack on the persons core values or reputation. I hope that helps Claudia
I think she meant attacking her as Serena Williams. He penalised her because he wanted her to lose as she thinks.