Cherry
Should I use "the more early" or "the earlier" in comparative sentence? In formal English, I should use "the more early" or "the earlier" in comparative sentence? For example: Last night I went to bed the more early/ earlier than my friend did. Help me, please!!! Thanks.
6
0
Always try to say more with less—use earlier. Delete “the”.
All native English speakers will think "the more early" and "the earlier" are very weird. There are two basic ways that you can use a comparative form in English. For example. "friendly" is an adjective. And in English I can say "more friendly" or "friendlier". But there are some adjectives where I must say "more [adjective]" and some adjectives where I must say "[adjectiv]-ier" and I think these can only be learned from memorization. In your case, "early" wants to use the comparative form "earlier" though "more early" does work. So I would say "Last night, I went to bed earlier than my friend did" but if I said "Last night I went to bed more early than my friend did", it would be completely understandable. You cannot add the "the" to those words, though, because it is very unnatural there. I know that it is very tricky, but you may consider to limit the use of "the" when you are talking very specifically about a specific subject of a sentence or a specific object of a sentence. There are exceptions!
Early is one syllable , then you need to change y to i and add er. For more information, please review the following link. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/comparative-and-superlative-adjectives/
Neither. Last night I went to bed earlier than my friend did. . No "the". . If you need a "the" in there, you must work harder. Regarding times to bed, last night, between my friend and I, mine was the earlier (time). <-- seriously hard work. Don't learn this unnatural thing. :)
Cherry
English, French, Vietnamese