Ellis
Making sense of 다르다 옛날 과 달랐어요. What is this grammar? Can someone please explain this? How does this possibly mean 'it's different from before'? EDIT: I have no trouble understanding the past tense conjugation of 다르다, it's the 옛날 that I don't. I thought A+와/과+B = A is B. If that's the case then this sentence says 'before is different' Actually, you know what. It's saying 'before WAS different' right? Is it a natural sentence construction? EDIT: Could I then say '저 여자 옛날 과 달랐어요' to mean 'that woman was different before'? and other sentence constructions used similarly?
6
0
~와/과 means 'together with'. For instance, 오늘은 어제와 다르는 것 같아요 (today seems different (together) with yesterday) A와 B (A and B, A together with B) Therefore 옛날과 달랐어요 means 'it was different with before (old days)' The subject was omitted, the full sentence could be : 그땐 옛날과 달랐어요 (At this time it was different with the old days) But it depends on the context you've read this phrase. 파이팅!
(조건을 비교했을 때 그것은) 옛날과 다르다. It's different (from the past considering the condition). Actually it's not '-와/과'and, but the abbreviated type of '-과는/와는'compared to something 그때의 나는 멍청했지. 그러나 지금의 나는 그때와(는) 달라! Yes, what I was is silly. but what I am is different compared to something!
1. yes, but stick to 옛날 and 과. 옛날과는 2. it's not necessary but if u feel it's needed it's okay to add something.
Ellis
Korean