" hissy fit " and "swanning " I am reading a book and I have had many doubts. Can you help me, please? 1 - she has started throwing all sorts of >> hissy fits<<... 2 - about people's >> swanning in at all times<<. Is hissy fits like "xiliques" in PT? Thanks!!
When someone's throwing a hissy fit, they scream and cry and they might throw things in anger. It's similar to what a child would do at a supermarket, if they didn't get the toy they wanted. You throw a hissy fit if things are not going your way. It's similar to throwing a tantrum. I don't know about the Portuguese word, sorry. Swanning is a type of movement where you don't care about anyone or anything. A person who swans in will walk into the room with a phone in one hand and a packet of crisps in the other, leaving a trail of crumbs behind them, ignoring the fact that others are having a conversation, and probably sitting down in someone else's place. An interesting fact is that people who swan into rooms are often ones capable of throwing hissy fits :)
hissy fit: throwing a tantrum. Something like an almost uncontrollable fit of anger. Typically being visibly and unreasonably angry. Swanning: moving in a casual and relaxed way. Typically a comment made by those who are restricted and less able to casually move around.