Pelin
Which one is OK? I was wondering whether you have a boyfriend. I was wondering whether you had a boyfriend.
12. Sept 2018 17:40
3
0
Both sentences are correct, it only depends on the actual purpose on the statement :-) With the verb „have” you are wondering if the girl has a boyfriend at the moment, with past tense - „had”, you're wondering if she had a boyfriend in the past. Examples: A boy in a bar is talking to a girl that he likes - I was wondering whether you have a boyfriend. (because he's curious if she's single or not) OR I was wondering whether you had a boyfriend when you kissed me last month. So one is in the present, the other one is in the past. I hope it is clear now :-)
12. September 2018
Both could possibly be correct, depending on what you are trying to ask. "I was wondering if you have a boyfriend." means that you are wondering if she has a boyfriend right now. "I was wondering if you had a boyfriend." means that you want to know if she had a boyfriend at a specific time in the past. For example, "I was wondering if you had a boyfriend when you were in high school." The conversation could have made the time in the past obvious. If you were discussing high school during the conversation, then the question, "I was wondering if you had a boyfriend," would be perfectly appropriate.
12. September 2018
The first one, using the word "have", is asking someone if they currently have a boyfriend. The second one, since it is using "had" (the past tense of have), is asking if someone used to have a boyfriend in the past. You'll find that native English speakers may mistakenly use both of these phrases interchangeably, so technically they're both "OK". However, I think that you're probably going to want to use the first phrase. Most people, when asking this question, want to know if someone currently has a boyfriend.
12. September 2018
Pelin
English, Turkish