G91
Unless I’m promoting something or something really burns my onions, you won’t hear from me. A recent interview with Jennifer Lawrence captured my attention something that she said: "Unless I’m promoting something or something really burns my onions, you won’t hear from me." What does it mean "really burns my onions"?
2
0
Lol its an original way of saying ‘really gets my attention’, in a negative way, as in really gets her mad. There are a lot of expressions like that in English, e.g. ‘Really gets my goat’ ‘Really gets my back up’ ‘Sends me doo-lally’ The key to interpreting a phrase like Jennifer Lawrence’s here is to try and picture what the person means - this isn’t a phrase you’ll hear a lot, if at all, she might have just made it up, but if you think about something like making a sauce, and you burn the onions, and how annoying that is, that’s a way to figure out what is meant, whenever you hear a phrase of this sort. English is a flexible language, and creative people make up phrases like this that make instant sense to another native speaker, because of the imagery involved.
G91
English, Romanian, Spanish