The following words are AmE as far as I know. Are they used in BrE? Cookies Pick-up truck
Sep 13, 2018 2:50 PM
Answers · 9
We do say "cookies", but only to refer to one certain type of product. In fact, the British equivalent of the American term "cookie" is "biscuit" ( not to be confused with what Americans call "biscuits", which is a softish leavened bread/scone-like product often eaten for breakfast). The BrE "biscuit" is a general term corresponding mainly to the "cookie" - these can be round or oblong, sweet, flat, dry and crunchy, usually about two inches across. Our most popular ones are often covered in chocolate or a 'sandwich' type, with a creamy filling between two layers of biscuit. They usually come in packets of a dozen or more, and usually crunch when you eat them. For BrE speakers, "cookies" are a very specific type of biscuit. They're always round, and are nearly always larger than other biscuits - up to 3 or 4 inches across. They're also softer and crumblier, often contain chocolate chips, raisins or similar, and may be bought singly. They're less regular round the edges than ordinary biscuits and have a more 'homemade' look - they also crumble when you bite into them. Here are some examples of BrE biscuits: This is what we call 'cookies' in BrE:
September 13, 2018
I'm American . I've never heard a British person say 'cookie' (to refer to what they call a 'biscuit') or 'pick-up', either on TV or in real-life, though they are both understood.
September 13, 2018
This is a good question as I haven't heard British people say pick up truck. But British people do say truck, 4x4s and SUVs. Yes we say cookies and also biscuits.
September 13, 2018
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!