Francine
"Do not" Vs "Not + infinitive" Can I choose between these negative forms: "Do not" Vs "Not + infinitive"? Ex: I resolved "not to talk" about what the bank wanted but about what the customer wanted." Could the author have said: "I resolved "do not" talk about what the bank wanted but about what the customer wanted." instead?
No, you can't. The verb 'resolve' has to be followed by an infinitive : this can either be a normal infinitive ( "to speak") or a negative infinitive ( "not to speak"). "Don't" - the contraction of "Do not" - is used to negate statements in the present simple "I don't speak Dutch" or in negative commands "Don't speak so loud!". Those are the only uses of "Don't".
No, you always "resolve to (+ verb)" or "resolve not to (+verb)." That is a construct than cannot be altered. Another way you could say it is "I resolved to not talk (<-- verb) about...." The only exception would be to change the placement of "not." It would be acceptable to say "I resolved not to (+verb)......"
"Do" is used to ask questions and for negative statements. "Do" is only used in positive statements for commands or for emphasis. Example: "Do not talk" is the imperative (command) form. Never use an infinitive immediately after the imperative. Example of a tag question answered by a positive statement using "do" for emphasis: You don't like sci fi movies, do you? Yes I do! I do like sci fi movies.