Luiz
''Prove'' ''Treason is no less vile because the traitor proves a craven''. (Quote from A Song of Ice and Fire) What does the word ''prove'' mean in the context given? Is there any grammar construction like ''to prove (oneself) + an adjective''? For example, instead of saying ''She proved herself a liar'' or ''She proved to be a liar'', could I say ''She proved a liar''? I would really appreciate it if you could explain to me the usage of the word ''prove'' and its alternating meanings, if any, in a sentence. Thanks in advance.
I can't understand why people keep asking questions about Martin's books as if they are written in English, and that therefore the language should conform to English standards and rules. Martin writes his dialogue in pseudo-medieval English. Like Star War's Yoda's lines, he writes speech that is deliberately stylised to sound a little odd and quirky to native speakers. In your example, 'proves' seems to be an abbreviated form of 'proves himself to be'. So, yes, you could write that if you were trying to write in a slightly quirky way, and it suited the style of what you were writing. Otherwise, you should stick to normal English.
In this statement, 'proves' is a shorter way of saying 'proves to be', but it is old English grammar, not modern English. So you cannot use that example to base usage today. In your question, you are correct in recognizing the problems. Your first two examples are correct, but it does not work for the last one, unless you are going to talking with William Shakespear. ;) I hope this is helpful.