aleksandr
What does "dumrnies " mean? I started read "The October Country by Ray Bradbury" and I can't understand the meaning of this word. I even can't find this word in dictionaries. Here is the sentence from the book with this word: "The managers of the various carnival pitches stood , like melting wax dumrnies , eyes staring blindly , not talking , all down the line"
4
0
The word is "dummies'. In this context it means manequins. A life-size model of the human form, usually used in shop windows to display clothing. Dummies (plural of dummy) has other meanings, including people who are not very intelligent; a nipple-shaped object given to babies to suck on - Americans call these pacifiers - and finally, a substitute for a real item - a dummy pistol is a fake/replica pistol that does not actually shoot bullets.
Looks like a typo should be spelt Dummies. If you are not sure of the analogy have you heard of Madame Tussauds? It is a wax museum in London. They make life like wax dummies of famous people.
It looks like a typo to me. I would read this as "dummies" which would also make sense in this sentence.
In this context, the word, 'dummies' means people having no conviction. The managers here were just like mannequins who were just pushed and shoved by their higher-ups.
aleksandr
Dutch, English, Russian, Ukrainian
Dutch, English