nokaze
Please tell me why A terrible earthquake happened in that district at the end of 2004,_____ many people all over the world visited there. A. which B in which C. on which D. where I saw the correct answer is A which. But why "where" is wrong?
Congratulations! You are more correct than the answer you were given. However, none are truly correct. Relative clauses are used to introduce something or to give more information about something. However, this sentence seems to be missing information that the options can not offer. You also need a verb. Clause #1. A terrible earthquake happened in that district at the end of 2004. Clause #2. Many people all over the world visited there. These two independent clauses cannot be joined by variations of "which" or "where" without the addition of a verb to the sentence. Examples of possible correct options include: 1. A terrible earthquake happened in that district at the end of 2004 WHICH CAUSED (<---verb), many people all over the world (to) visit there. 2. A terrible earthquake happened in that district at the end of 2004, IN WHICH many people VISITING FROM all over the world DIED/WERE INJURED. 3. "On which " cannot be used here because there is no noun (earthquake, district, people) in this sentence that can use the preposition "on." 4. A terrible earthquake happened in that district at the end of 2004, WHERE many people FROM all over the world WERE VISITING. I hope this helps!
As a native American English speaker, the sentence you were given is not grammatically correct with any of the given possible answers. :/ This would confuse me as well.
A terrible earthquake happened in that district at the end of 2004,_____ many people all over the world visited there. A. which B in which C. on which D. where Which means the whole thing 『A terrible earthquake happened in that district at the end of 2004』that made people all over the world visited there. Where can only refer to the location, not things.
None of those answers are correct.
The end of the sentence ends with 'there'. Therefore, you can't use where. I can't give you a clear explanation as to why that is so, all I know is that it doesn't feel right.