OnlineGame
Can we use this when we talk about football matches? 1. This team is in the underdog position. 2 The team is underdog comparing to other teams. 3. I think this team won't win the match because this team is underdog. How do you say this kind of thing in English and sound more natural? Is there any other way to say this?
1) This team are the underdogs. 2) This team are the underdogs in this match 3 ) I don't think this team will win, they are the underdogs. underdogs do not have a set position "underdogs" are just inferior teams not expected to win a particular match or championship or football league. "Underdogs" are not automatically in the bottom position at all times, or any time. an underdog in one match, will not be the underdogs in another match against another team. it is just how they are statistically ranked based on past performances and current winning ability. 'the underdogs" is all that is required to be said. Do not get into a grammatical muddle over it.
Note: The reason John and Michael used "are" and Valerie used "is", is because the British think of 'team' as plural (ie, 'they') whereas Americans think of 'team' as 1 single unit (ie, 'it'). Both are correct
1. This team is in the underdog position. Grammatically correct, slightly formal. 2 The team is underdog comparing to other teams. "This team is the underdog when compared to the other teams." A little formal. 3. I think this team won't win the match because this team is underdog. "I think this team won't win the match because this team is the underdog." A lot of words and a bit formal. How do we say it in American English? "This team is the underdog." Everyone knows that being an underdog means they have a lot to overcome if they want to win the game, so nothing further is added to the statement. I hope this is helpful.
Generally in English you would phrase it like this: "Liverpool are the underdogs in today's game"