OnlineGame
Can natives really recognize the sounds of these two words? Can natives really recognize the sounds of these two words? Muddle and model. I know there is /ˈmʌd.əl/ /ˈmɑː.dəl/ are different. But I pronounce them almost the same. Do you native really pronounce them differently?ʌ and ə are pronounced the same?
American English user. Yes, they sound very different.
yes definitely! at least in British English.. It's possibly less obvious in some American accents? By the way, model is with ɒ not ɑː
There is a distinct difference in all the English's from every continent on the globe.
Additional Details: ʌ and ə are pronounced the same? Briefly, /ə/ is an unstressed, undefined central vowel. The sound shifts depending on the neighbouring consonants. In my North American accent, /ə/ has two allophones: [ɪ] and [ʌ]. Examples: <seven> /sɛvən/ [sɛvɪn] <about> /əboʊt/ [ʌboʊt]
Yes, they have a distinct sound that is recognizable to native English speakers. Muddle (mud, dud, crud, bud, thud) short u sound model (odd, sod, god, nod, plod) short o sound