OnlineGame
Do Americans really link the sounds of the words like this? It is= I diz at eleven= a televen? Get up=ge tup? work up=wor kup? Is it true you all love link these words? But the second words will sound entirely different.
Yep. British people do it, too!
Yes, we do! but people who aren't mean usually slow down more than that for non-native speakers and we try to pronounce a little more clearly.
This is called connected speech (or linking) and it is very common (English, French, Spanish, Korean, ...). An example: red apple => redapple (re/da/pple) ; green apple => greenapple (gree/na/pple) A related topic is reduced speech. An example: tomorrow => tumorruh I teach pronunciation as part of my general English class for immigrants. For beginning students, I work on basic pronunciation a little in every class. For intermediate students, I work on topics like this.
Just pronounce the words correctly. :) Don't try to imitate lazy speech. People mumble and run words together far too much, embracing poor speech and sounding uneducated.
I think it's just the way emphasis is applied the phrase. Get up, might sound like ge tup, when really the speaker is just putting extra emphasis on the first syllable, as in geee-tup (an extended e, not a long e sound). I think at eleven might sound mors like "ata leven" if the speaker's being lazy.