Luiz
''all the more...'' 1) Hey brother, I don't think movies of this kind are proper for you! All the more, it is way past your bedtime!'' What is the meaning of ''all the more'' in the sentence above? Would you mind providing me with a few more examples, please? Thanks in advance.
6
1
Hi Luiz, Your question: Would you mind providing me with a few more examples, please? 1. “All the more” is an expression we use to add on to something mentioned previously (often in a contrasting manner). The intention is to intensify a quality or characteristic with a contrast. In terms of meaning, it is similar to “even more”. Example: "Given that he started his life under very unfortunate circumstances, his rise to fame and power is all the more remarkable." Notice that “all the more” emphasises on the remarkability of someone’s rise to prominence. This emphasis is strengthened by contrasting the ideas of (i) “…started his life in very unfortunate circumstances” and (ii) “…rise to fame and power…” 2. “All the more” can also be used just for emphasising a quality or characteristic. Example: “Her accusations seemed to infuriate him all the more (even more).” (Here, "all the more" emphasises his anger.) Your question: What is the meaning of ''all the more'' in [my] sentence above? In your sentence, “All the more” is used to emphasise that something is unsuitable for your brother. I would like to edit your sentence slightly: “Hey brother, I don’t think this kind of movies suits you and [all the more so] when it is way past your bedtime.” (Here, “all the more” emphasises the unsuitable nature of a particular genre of movies, and "so" points the reader to the beginning of your sentence where the emphasis lies. Another example: It was a worrisome problem, and all the more so because there was no solution at that moment. ("All the more so" emphasises on the worrisome nature of the problem; "so" points to the beginning of the sentence where the emphasis is introduced; there is a contrast because "no solution is available at that moment" which in turn emphasises again on the worrisome nature of the problem.) I hope this helps.
"all the more" is a way if indicating that the latter statement carries more weight than the former one, in a common regard. "Hey brother, I don't think movies of this kind are proper for you! All the more, it is way past our bedtime!'' An alternative could be "more importantly". "Hey brother, I don't think movies of this kind are proper for you! More importantly, it is way past our bedtime!'' Another example of "all the more". Quenching your thirst is a reason to drink water, but being an essential nutrient is even more of a reason to drink it. "Water not only quenches your thirst, it's an essential nutrient. All the more reason to drink it." So there's already reason to drink water, but the new statement about it being an essential ingredient is more of a reason to drink it than just quenching your thirst. Going back to this one. "Hey brother, I don't think movies of this kind are proper for you! All the more, it is way past our bedtime!'' So it is implied that this person is reasoning to his brother that he should not watch this movie. His first reason is that he doesn't think this kind of movie is proper for his brother. His second reason, is that it is past their bed time, which is a greater reason to not watch the movie.
Besides, it is way past your bedtime! Furthermore, it is way past your bedtime! Moreover, it is way past your bedtime!
Luiz
English, Portuguese