Rodrigo
What is the difference between Gallows humor and Potty humor? Are they the same? Hi everyone! Can somebody help me please? I don't understand...
Gallows humour is finding something amusing in a bad situation. Like laughing at your football teams performances when you are bottom of the league and 0-7 to the closest team. In case you didn't know, the gallows is the name of the mechanism that was used to hang people as a form of execution, so I would guess that the origin of the term comes from people managing to find something amusing about the situation of being close to death! Potty humour, or toilet humour, is finding anything "dirty" funny. Like farts, burps, urinating, defecating, etc. Like if someone farts in a crowded lift. I think a British person would find this very funny, I know I would!
Out of curiosity, where did you see these terms? It’s interesting because although I’m able to understand them, I’ve never actually heard anyone use these terms.
Gallows humor is, humor that treats serious, frightening, or painful subject matter in a light or satirical way Potty humor or toilet humour is a type of humour dealing with defecation, urination and flatulence, and to a lesser extent vomiting and other body functions. It sees substantial crossover with sexual humour, such as dick jokes. Potty is a type of toilet for toddlers (small children) generally made of plastic. I how this helps. Mohammed