mayllt
what does "there is no such thing as a preempted beauty;"here mean? At my age I don't even hesitate to confess that entirely unchivalrous images of Ailie Calhoun--that lovely name--rushed into my mind. At twenty-three there is no such thing as a preempted beauty; though, had Bill asked me, I would doubtless have sworn in all sincerity to care for her like a sister. He didn't; he was just fretting out loud at having to go. Three days later he telephoned me that he was leaving next morning and he'd take me to her house that night.
4
0
Ok, the author is saying that now, when they think about Ailie Calhoun, they immediately have thoughts about their beauty. Before they actually meet them I'm person. At 23, the thoughts about this person didn't happen before meeting a person. "Pre-emptive" beauty being beauty that you can "see" before the object is there in front of you. I hope this helps!
A different reading: she was only twenty three, which is why her beauty had not yet been preempted - in this context meaning that time had not yet taken it away. This is why he found her erotically attractive, despite being willing to treat her purely as a sister.
mayllt