Hazem
what synonym to provision in this setence? When designing buildings in this area, you have to make provision against earthquakes.
Hey Hazem, In the context given, the idiom ''to make provision(s) for/against (something)'' means ''to take preparatory action or measures against something''. The word ''provision'' is being used to convey the idea of something that is needed or wanted, or the act of considering the need for something and arranging for it. Here are a few other examples that may help you understand it clearly: ''A bank must provision against losses from bad loans''. ''I think you should make provisions for your old age''. ''Ample provisions for aircraft stability have been made''. Hope that helps! :)
Instead of "make provision", you could say "take precautions". You could also replace "make provision" with "safeguard" or "protect". But I think I might rephrase it as, "you have to take earthquakes into account."
thanks
I'd suggest that "take precautions" is quite different from "make provision" in this context. . I'd take "make provision for" or "make provision against" to be the thing you want to substitue. . When designing buildings in this area, you have to make allowance for earthquakes. When designing buildings in this area, you have to design for earthquakes. When designing buildings in this area, you have to make design decisions for earthquakes. When designing buildings in this area, you have to make provision in your design for earthquakes.
I think it could be arrangement.