Carving How do you call the process of carving wood and metal with electrical manual machine? Is it milling? How is this machine called? Are the removable cutters called milling cutters?
Sep 16, 2018 7:42 AM
Answers · 9
Hallo Natasha. It depends on what exactly you are doing. I worked as an artist blacksmith for many years and used an electrical grinder with grinding and cutting discs. I also used wood router for softer metals, like lead and pewter. I would suggest you go onto the internet and google (in English) electrical wood cutting/carving tools, and electrical metal cutting/carving tools, and find the tool you mean. I would never have used the term 'milling cutter' because for me milling means a whole different thing to cutting and/or carving.
September 16, 2018
"Milling" and "milling cutters" are correct. The machine can be called a "mill", but if it is a CNC type, it will usually just be called a "CNC". You can also just use the verb "machine", especially if you're talking about metal. eg. "He machined the part from a steel block". Edit: I asked somebody who knows better than me - milling and lathing are different things. If the work-piece is spinning, it's lathing, if the cutter is spinning, it's milling.
September 16, 2018
Thank you Jerome!
September 16, 2018
I'm not sure what your question is. Carving and milling are two different processes and uses different sets of tools. Also, wood milling and metal milling are used to produce different results.
September 16, 2018
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!